Translate

Friday, June 20, 2014

SIster Oh Sister CD Project

Thanks for taking the time to check out my latest project.  I have been doing what I do for quite a while now.  During that time, many things have happened to shape me into who I am today. Among the earliest consciousness-shaping events in my life were two trips that I took to Washington, DC from my home in Wilmington, Delaware.  This was in the fall of 1972 and the summer of 1973. 

The first time was to march with my brothers and sisters in the American Indian Movement on the Trail of Broken Treaties and the second was in support of the Equal Rights Amendment, which still hasn’t been ratified. So, when a friend of mine asked me to do something to draw attention to the terrible things that were happening on Indian reservations out West, especially with the elders, women and children, this resonated deeply with feelings that I had been carrying for over 40 years.

When you have a few moments, please go to my website and check out my new CD “Sister, Oh, Sister”.  This CD is the result of my friend’s request.  The songs on this recording are songs that draw attention to a number of social and political issues that affect not only Indians and women, but ultimately all of us. Issues such as domestic violence, addiction, poverty, sexual identity, environmental destruction and the legacy of Wounded Knee. There are also spiritual songs about peace, love, native pride and the uplifting of all that is feminine in nature – some of my favorite subjects.

Throughout my career, politics, social issues and community activism have always been important to me.  I have supported and continue to support many groups and causes, but I need to re-establish myself.  After more than a decade off the road and being involved in other aspects of life and volunteer work, it is time once again for me to hit the trail. But, times have changed and things are not being done the way they used to be.  These are songs and issues that need to be taken to the people directly.  I need to go out and sing these songs and go from town to town, meeting folks and talking about the issues that are going on in all of our lives.

I also need to get better distribution of my music, find a manager and an agent, and then mount a tour - an ongoing tour - with periodic breaks, of course.  I want to have discussions and hold meetings and do benefits and fund-raisers all along the way.  I want to do my best to educate, enlighten, entertain and hopefully inspire others to do their part in making their community a better place to live. But, as I said, things have changed.  The music business is a totally different animal, and we are in a totally different zoo.  The ideas that I am proposing cost money.  The days of big corporations supporting this kind of project have sadly gone the way of The Beatles and Sitting Bull.


And that is why I am asking for your help.  It costs a lot of money to be an independent artist. The music is finished and touring plans are being made. So, if you believe in the things I am talking and singing about, then I ask you to please make a donation today.  And, please feel free to share this with your friends. You can find more information about all of this at “Kenny Mullins dot com”.  Thank you all for your kindness, faith and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment